Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 

Do you believe in …… Ghosts?

Ask me that question and I would answer that I am simply sitting on the fence. I am at heart a skeptic, I do not attribute strange sightings or odd events to the supernatural - I just consign them to a large area of subjects labeled "the unexplained". There will be a - possibly logical - explanation for all of these things; we just don't have it yet.

Having trained as an Engineer, I like to put things in boxes by way of understanding where they fit and what they do. In truth I shouldn't believe that ghosts are any more than a figment of the human imagination. Only recently, I think I might be wrong.

There are ways and means that we might be influenced by our surroundings and culture that makes us think more, that makes us imagine. Due to the wave of the horror flicks that is invading in the Asia’s culture, we are getting more and more exposure to the world of the supernatural. Are we getting closer to them or all along they have been with us?

Are you afraid of the dark when the night gets closer and the witchy hour bears close? Are you afraid of the sound of the cricket or the disappearing act of your blanket? Are you afraid of your dreams as you face your greatest fear in your nightmare? Are you afraid of the retribution for stealing the seat from the old auntie on the bus just an hour ago?

To a certain extent, I will not brush all believers aside. As a young man living in an Asian lifestyle, we worship gods and goddesses. Deity exists to most man. On the line of good and evil, they must co-exist to balance the human world. What we have done is being watched. So many times I will tend to hallucinate a severed head in the fridge when I opened it at night. So many times even though I know my missing blanket is underneath my bed, I will not look down to get it and I will endure the night with the freezing coldness of the “Sanyo” air-con. Even if I sense that someone is standing right behind me looking at me right now staring at what I am typing, I would not dare to look around. Until I am called into the office by my boss, lecturing me on “minding my own business” during office hours, I know the “thing” overlooking my shoulder just now was actually my boss.

For every action, there must be an equal and opposite reaction. There must be a logical explanation why most unexplained events will only happen at night. Why must the damn light above my office desk only flicker after ten pm at night? Why the hell would the toilet auntie clean the office toilet at ten pm at night? Was it the toilet auntie that I saw, or was it……………

After a long day of work and dance, men tend to get tired, very tired. When one gets tired, they simply let the other half of their innate personalities take over. Thus very often, we tend to imagine things that happened to you which may not be true. We tend to imagine that someone is stalking you. We tend to imagine that you are alone in the building and the doorbell rings. We tend to imagine that your computer was shut off because of some unexplained events.

Why would there be a term called “Deja-vu”? This term is unexplainable unless all of us are psychic. Psychic itself is already not acceptable based on scientific explanation. Why do we sometime remember something that you remember that happened in a dream before? Why do I sometimes dream that I will poke a lady in her eyes during a Salsa dance? If I know that “Deja-vu” might happen, do I need to stop myself from dancing such that no accidents will eventually occur? Why doesn’t my dream of a massive lesbian party do not happen in reality?

I am not sure that whether the following incident happened to you before but all these are fictional. Please do not brood over it at night and start making scary comments on my blog cause I will hunt you down and I will be your worst nightmare.

I was ten and I was sleeping on my bed while my mum is busy sewing next to me. I cannot make sense whether I was dreaming or was I awake but I can feel that someone or something was just sitting on top of my head laughing. Initially I thought it was my brother making stupid sounds, so I wanted to get up. I couldn’t and I struggled. I can vividly remember the laughing sounds the “thing” made. It was creepy and eerie and even till now, it still sends chills down my spine. I woke up abruptly with my mum giving me twenty tight slaps across my face. She assured me that I was just having a dream and there was no one else in the room except for her.

Scientific explanation would rule that this case is based on body exhaustion. Physically, one is fully exhausted but mentally, one could still be full of vigor. As the body is so tired, it cannot interpret instructions from the brain and thus posing a difficulty to execute the body movements. In which it explains the term, being pinned by a ghost.

It was only last Monday, it was late at night and I was asleep. Soundly at 1am in the morning, I was awakened by the shrieks from hell! I opened by eyes and I was scared as the sound was so bloodcurdling. I realized my girlfriend next to me was making creepy noises in her sleep. I jumped from my bed and I went to turn on the lights. I scrambled next to her and I gave her twenty tight slaps across her face. She awoke and she thanked me for waking her up. She said that she had a nightmare and she was conscious then. She fought hard to move her body but to no avail, she was not able to even move an inch. She tried to kick the side of the bed hoping that I will be awakened by her movements, but I was really soundly asleep. The most that she could deliver was that voice.

I did not sleep at all that night. My girlfriend went back to sleep straight away and the usual sound of snoring resumes. In my company, I had my Play Station and DVDs from Atomi Ayusaki which lasted me till 5 am in the morning till I woke my girlfriend up for work. After she left, I was then able to get some rest till 8 am in the morning and I washed up for work.

I told her that she must have brought it away with her.

Are all these a piece of my imagination or are they part of the unexplainable powers co-existing in our world?





Author
Johnny Kwek

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't particularly tread upon such issues though I'd admit it does pique my senses. I mean, who doesn't like ghost stories, however the premise of my comment here is to say ...

This a pretty good read. Well constructed with a good subject focus ... peppered with well-placed snippets and innuendos. Good writing :)

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nicely written...Especially like the part on the deja vu phenomenon. Didnt know you had the same lesbian party dream i had!

Anyway, time to go back and drop some marbles in the night again.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home