Monday, November 06, 2006

 

The Ugly Side of Man

When my friend told me that he works in mysterious ways, I twitched my eyebrow and I held my breath and thoughts like an adrenaline gushed through my mind. If the world is a colour plateau, with the angels as white and devils as black, I would have to say the world is black. Not a mixture of grey, not a pinch of white. The dark side has infiltrated us so badly; I am unable to see through the haze anymore. I close my eyes, feeling with thy heart, what has happened. What was the cause that eventually leads to this unbalanced forces working at us. We cannot yield to this force but we need to stand up and stand strong and firm to fight against it.

I was on the MRT this morning on my way to work. As usual, the morning rush is so hideous. As many commuters have seen for themselves, the pushing, the tugging, the smell and that poor little boy hanging onto dear life to the mother’s handbag. You can see the amount of anticipation, the eyes of a predator, lurking around you for an empty seat. I picture myself in the era of the caveman, out hunting for food. “Every man for himself!” the Chief yelled. So the men would start hunting, eyeing cautiously for their feast tonight. “Ding Dong, next stop Paya Lebar.” I awake from my hallucination and from the corner of my eye, a seat was vacant and free for the scoff. I diverted my attention to the people around the seating area. I observed very carefully, I can hear very vaid thoughts of everyone telling themselves. I need that seat. A young chap who looks like a happy people, the bravest among the elites got to the trophy faster and sharper than everyone else. I swear I can still hear him panting as he enjoyed his triumph on his catch. The Chief once again appeared in my thoughts. The Chief said, “He has proven to be the fittest and the quickest. He has shown his bravery and the honour is his. Thank thee lord.” I took out my axe and I chopped his testicles off. I spat at the Chief’s face and I said. “You know what is bravery, to see you die as I eunuched you. Bravery and Courage is to protect and help those around you that needs help and protection.” I smirked at the Chief and I was back at reality. I look at the young chap and I can conclude that he definitely goes to gym more often than I have. He was trying to pull that old trick off the hat by closing his eyes and seem to fall into a very deep slumber. Can anyone fall asleep that fast? I don’t believe it. I peeped at the young boy still clinging onto the mother’s Gucci bag, I felt sorry for him that he has to start training this early to be a stronger man and a better man than that chap sleeping right in front of him. I opened to my friend, if you are so mysterious, please show me a sign and a reason of why this intense amount of hatred I possessed in my soul. This rage that I need to show to the world on this chap on the amount of iniquity he withholds. And the next thing that happened made me wonder.

The lady next to him stood up and offered the seat to the young boy. Again thoughts poured through my mind.

  • He works in mysterious way.
  • She is my Angel
  • Why does that chap need to disgrace us men?
  • Does that chap own the capability of feeling guilty?
  • Alas, a super hero to the rescue.
  • I love that woman.

A simple gesture from a stranger and I was calmed. I feel as if a stone has dropped, a large wave ramming right through me to wash away my rage, an ice cold beer to sooth my thirst. I understand suddenly that there was a balance in life. For every Angel, there will be a Devil. I questioned myself to put myself in that young chap’s old shoes. He must be very tired. He must have spent the whole night poking in someone else’s asshole. He must have had an incurable disease that requires him to sleep at all places at all times. I blame the society; I blame all the bosses for over encumbering him with work till the only time that he can sleep is on the train. I question my behaviour that I did to the Chief.

I brought a bouquet of flowers for the Chief. Standing in front of his grave, I said “I apologize deeply for my imbecile and bashful behaviour. I did you wrong by all the wrong accusations and not understanding the pictures. I understand that this elite that won the trophy has a family to feed and a dying parent’s wish for him to bring home honour. I have sinned.” I wonder to myself, which one is worse. I killing the Chief or the young chap occupying the seat.

He works in mysterious way, my friend said.

Author
Johnny Kwek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home