Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

Salsa Competition 2006 @ Union Square

The Salsa competition is finally over and I didn’t win but I didn’t lose too. I won it in a very different way. I am sorry I did not bring the trophy home for everyone and I did not bring back celebration for all my supporters. But I hope that I displayed the best entertainment and the wildest fond memories for everyone to bid 2006 goodbye. I admit that my performance was amateurish but who cares, I had fun. Frankly I am a bit upset that I did not win anything although I tell everyone that I have already won from the experience but I still think that they could have at least give me the PlayStation as a consolation.

I wanted to show to the world that without participating in a performance team, neither having proper guidance from any certified teachers; I would be able to do it. I wanted to show to everyone that as long as you have the passion for it and the kind of commitment, one can do it. I am sorry I have failed you. But believe me, one day I will succeed. There is always hope for us social dancers. We can do it. Yeah!!!

I salute all the competitors as they have done a very good job. I admit that I have no guts to watch all the performances prior to mine as I was the last performer. Attitude from the competitors was very matured and nice as I went to wish them luck prior to the performance so that I can receive mine. Competition was stiff as I could hear that from all the cheering and the noises made from the crowd while I was holding my balls at the corner. Trying my best to stay calm and eased before my personal show.

The part that I love about the performance was the performance itself. The lightings, the crowds, the cheering and the pressure all played a part to the performance. I admit that I was a bit scared by just walking out from the crowd to the dance floor. I attempted to do something stupid so that I could make myself less stressed and more comfortable. The music starts and it begins. I loved it when the music starts and the crowd just focus on me while I dance. I love the silence of the crowds while I dance and the sudden laughter and cheering during a particular dance move. When they cheer or when they laugh, I know they loved it. When the audiences enjoy the choreo, I enjoy my dance. I ended with a bang and applauses starts to roll. I thank everybody who contributed to the applause. I may not be the most spectacular performance on the floor since I did not win; I hope that you have found my show entertaining and pleasurable for the eye.

I watched my performance after I went home via the recording from my friend. Damn, wasn’t I cute in the performance? I watched it twice and I cried. I cried because I think we were bloody good. It was a wonderful performance based on my own standard and I loved it. I wept because I felt that we really did a good job. I start to remember the practices of hell we had to go through in the last two months. I remember how difficult it was to think of the choreo and how difficult to get it organised. The amount of time and effort we have spent finding a song and listening to the same song over and over again and thinking of the moves to execute at specific sections of the song. I remember the practices of hell we gave ourselves to make it happen. I remember the pain in my back trying to experiment with different moves. I remember the ache in my thighs while practicing. But this moment, it will be ours to remember for the rest of our life.



The best words that I received after my performance, was from Mr Jackson himself. He said that it was very well done and very entertaining. He was very proud of us. To receive a compliment from the man who brought me all this, was a blessing. Without Jackson and June, I guess I would be at home all this time in this year playing chess when I should be dancing Salsa. June has also been very supportive and encouraging. Her hug before my performance was like the best cooling gel. Yet another friend came up to me and said the most encouraging words. He said that we should be very proud of ourselves as the rest of the participants were either from performing team or received proper guidance from someone, while for us, we did it all on our own. It was a good performance. Lastly, what made me extremely satisfied are comments from friends saying that they are proud of us. These are simple but yet meaningful words. I am proud of you guys too.

That was my two minutes to fame. Now people have seen me dance and I have danced for everyone. For those who know me, I will still be Almost Virgin. For those who don’t, I will be the one who participated in the 2006 Salsa competition. Life still goes on. It’s not the end of the world. Guess what I gain from a loser’s point of view? Experience and exposure. Guess what I gain from a winner’s point of view? I have won lots and lots of friends and a free admission to Union Square on New Year’s Eve.

There are just too many people that I have to thank for their support and encouragement. So let me take this slow and thank those that I can remember. If I happen to leave you out, its not that you are not important, it just that that tiny brain of mine wasn’t functioning to remember it as it was stored with fond memories of you.

Firstly, I need to thank Mrs Virgin for your support and your encouragement. I understand that I have not spent enough quality time with you as its all practice and practice everyday for the last week. Yes we did quarrel that induces some friction and misunderstanding, but still I am glad we sort it out and trust me, I still love you with all my heart. Although you were not there for my performance, I still hope that after watching the video clip, you will be proud of me.

I would like to express my deepest gratitude to all my supporters which made the effort to come in a white top to show their support. I thank those who cheered for me and everyone who believed in me.

I would like to say a very big thank you to the following people.

  1. Jackson
  2. June
  3. Gary
  4. Sally
  5. Sunny Boy
  6. Zhiguang
  7. Ellen
  8. Amy
  9. Aichin
  10. Chuen Huei
  11. Andy
  12. Qi xiao
  13. Jianping
  14. Audrey
  15. Boon Cheong
  16. Daphne
  17. Serene
  18. Rachel
  19. Hai Han
  20. Shumin
  21. Shuying
  22. Karen
  23. Dawn
  24. Lorraine
  25. Jeremy
  26. Jeremy
  27. Guo wei
  28. Keryn
  29. Tricia
  30. Robin
  31. Dino
  32. Kenny
  33. Charles
  34. Sharon
  35. Cheryl
  36. William
  37. Patrick
  38. Chirstine
  39. Chirstine
  40. Chirstine
  41. Christy
  42. Howe Yuin
  43. Yu min
  44. Candice
  45. Mark
  46. Philbert
  47. Sebastian
  48. Joyce
  49. Terence
  50. Terence
  51. Clarence
  52. Celestine
  53. Leon
  54. Ben
  55. Evelyn
  56. Evelyn
  57. Celestine
  58. Kenji
  59. Evelyn
  60. CK
  61. KC
  62. Esther
  63. Edward
  64. Jeffery
  65. Cedric
  66. Wen Ling
  67. Don
  68. Topless Girl

And lastly, I would like to say a big thank you to Topless Girl. Doing the choreo with you was fun and enjoyable. We did it as a team and I could not have found a better team-mate as compared to you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..

glad you enjoyed yourself. :)
You left out the fact that you and Karen improved tremendously during this entire process.

Bravo!~

Ok, now that you're done, u need to help me psycho mr incredible to join a competition with me too!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude you did a great job!! i really really felt that the chereo was very entertaining!

hope to cya burn the dance floor in the next competition!

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself in the process and at the end-result!
Nothing beats seeing your friends reach new heights of enjoyment and euphoria :)
I'm extremely proud of you too! *beams*

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not saying this just to make you feel happy. I do think you stand a good chance to be in one of the top 3s for the fact that your performance is very cleanly executed. Wait till I show you my competition performance... *goosebumps* cmi... ack!

The next step to go from here is to brush up your showmanship and bag the 2007 salsa competition trophy. Go johnny, ah go go!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You da amn!!!

Kudos to the Almost Virgin


Your blog is hilarious btw.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your performannce with Topless Girl lots....i think you brought pride to the "everyday salsa heartlander"...by going out there to show your brilliant stuff....cos the other competitors looked as if they were experienced performers or something...(i could have sworn some of their moves were repeats at some other competitions too) Glad i wore that white shirt to give that insignificant support but I was scanning thru the list of your thankees....bloody hell...where's my name???

Anyway I hope to see you perform at another competition.....i wouldn't mind being your partner you know? *Winks*

Oh Yeah...your blogs rocks big time...Cheers Bro!

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home